Director of Purchasing
Fast growing privately held food company needs a talented Director of Purchasing who will have overall responsibility for the operational performance of the company’s product sourcing and procurement. The position reports to the CFO and has 2 direct reports.
- Minimum of 7 years of procurement experience, preferably at the Manager or Director level.
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of food products, suppliers, retailers, vendors, market pricing factors, and quality indicators
- Food industry experience in a high SKU environment.
- Commodity experience with specific knowledge of the dairy markets and experience in futures contracting / hedging.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Negotiate measurable and sustainable year-over-year cost savings on a consistent basis.
- Minimize inventory levels while still minimizing product outages and resulting production downtime.
- Improve overall procurement processes, including regular category reviews, formal bid programs and systematic measurement of vendor performance.
- Recommend and establish strategic sourcing programs specific to customer needs and expectations.
- Procurement of ingredients, packaging and plant supplies with ongoing exploration of sourcing alternatives and new products.
- Assist maintenance department in the procurement of repair parts and supplies.
- Coordinate with plant management in acquisition of equipment and other assets required to complete capital projects.
- Interface closely with R&D function to qualify new vendors and products with lower costs and / or improved quality.
- Serve as a resource to the Marketing and Sales functions in the new product development process.
- Partner with sales and operations teams to support new product/new customer sales.
- Establish program to measure and monitor vendor performance, including compliance with quality standards.
- Provide raw material cost forecasts for the annual budget process.