Job Reference Code: 0160
Salary: $125K-$150K+25% Bonus
Last Updated: 06/10/2016
This position provides overall site leadership at assigned plant facility (facility size generally 300 associates or less). While there is some dotted line reporting from individuals within the facility, this position oversees all aspects related to production, safety, quality, productivity, cost control, scheduling, maintenance, inventories, employee well-being, and numerous other intangibles within a manufacturing facility.
Essential Job Duties:
• Leads and directs all production operations for site, working effectively through department managers and/or supervisors/team leaders to accomplish plant KPIs.
• Safety – Work closely with Safety lead and corporate Safety resources to maintain a safe work environment for S/L employees. This will be measured by achieving defined LTA goals, OSHA recordable and other to be defined measures.
• Quality – Ensure all S/L defined quality standards are maintained and executed at site. While there is a quality staff, it is the ultimate responsibility of the Plant Manager to ensure quality products are produced that meet both regulatory and customer expectations.
• Productivity – The Plant Manager is to lead the facility team on a path to achieving standard or better productivity as defined by throughput, material usage and direct and indirect labor usage. The incumbent may support or lead one or more Corporate Vision Stream teams. The incumbent will also own the application and results of the plant Vision Stream process.
• Sanitation – Maintain a high level of sanitation with the facility at all times. This should be sufficient to satisfy internal, regulatory, 3rd party, and customers reviews for a food production facility.
• Maintenance – Provide oversight and direct leadership for the maintenance program with measurement to ensure cost and productivity levels are highly effective. Support the application and use of the site CMMS (Computer Maintenance Management System).
• Engineering - Oversee the application of all site capital assets. Manage capital investment annually. Capital projects should make the best use of company funds, and will target product quality and productivity improvements. Manage the condition and eventual retirement of all site capital assets.
• Training and Development - Implement effective training programs to develop leadership and technical skills within both the salaried and hourly workforce. Provide feedback as required and participate in the creation and use of a development plant for each direct report.
• Employee Engagement – The plant manager should accept the primary responsibility for ensuring that appropriate engagement and team building with our employees is maintained. The incumbent is responsible for maintaining a cohesive employee working environment.
• “Continuous Improvement”– The plant manager should be the champion for developing and maintaining a strong “CI” culture within the facility. The plant manager should continually be working to develop a mindset within the leadership and the entire facility to seek continuous improvement opportunities. This will include many intangible activities as well as tangible support of CI initiatives as Vision Stream and Kaizen events. The site leader should oversee the three year “Site Master Plan”, modifying the plan as needed.
• Key Corporate Contact - The site leader will be the key contact for all Marketing, Sales and Product Supply initiatives which require production capability and capacity at the facility.
• Key Community Contact - The site leader will be the local contact for all community inquiries. The incumbent will utilize the appropriate corporate spokesperson when or if required.
• Regulatory Compliance and Sustainability - The incumbent will be responsible for meeting all regulatory emissions/discharge limits. The site will have an effective sustainability program overseen by the site leader, or his/her designee.
• Technical training and product knowledge - The incumbent needs to have a working knowledge of the products produced at the facility. The incumbent needs to be able to identify issues that are preventing the site from attaining the highest product quality, at the lowest possible cost. A working knowledge of statistical process controls, and baking and/or frying principles is required.
• Other duties will be assigned as required.
Scope of Responsibility:
This role has oversight of an entire single plant site. This includes directly or indirectly leading all functional areas in the plant.
The Plant Manager will normally supervise all production, maintenance, sanitation, and some clerical with dotted line to other areas such as Warehousing, Logistics, HR, Quality, Site Controller etc.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
Extensive on-the-job experience within the type of facility to be managed is required.
Education and Experience:
Minimum of a B.S. or B.A. from an accredited four year institution is required.
Actual experience and education would be reviewed on a case by case basis. Previous plant manager or production manager experience is required. Prior high performance work systems experience highly desirable.
Travel from time to time will be required to other facilities, training, etc.